Today is World AIDS Day. What will you do?
- Over 40 million people around the world are living with HIV or AIDS.
- In 2006, over 4 million people were newly infected with HIV. 40,000 of these cases are in the US.
- The total number of people living in the USA with HIV/AIDS is thought to be between 1,039,000 and 1,185,000. About a quarter of these people do not know they are infected.
- 3 million people died from AIDS-related illnesses in 2006.
- Half of new infections are in young people 15-24 years old.
- Today, women account for 48% of all adults living with HIV worldwide.
- 95 per cent of all AIDS cases occur in the world’s poorest countries.
- More than 60% of all people with HIV live in Sub-Saharan Africa.
What you don’t know can hurt you. Get informed. Get tested. Act.