We travelled over 24 hours in three continents to get to Uganda. Upon arrival, Peace Corps staff gave us a quick welcome and some tea. Then four of us got a special welcome: biting ants speeding up our legs as we walked to our rooms. There was much dancing and shouting before the offending insects were removed and we fell asleep.
Our wake-up call the next morning came in the form of a braying donkey outside the window. I have no idea how a donkey manages to make such a terrible, terrible sound.
In addition to these, there have been some other creatures around:
- goats (including baby goats, which are possibly the cutest animal around),
- cows (with really big horns),
- meerkats (or some form of squirrel?),
- birds of all shapes and sizes including guineahens and chickens as well as many less familiar ones, some of them huge,
- bats (these tend to take up residence in the rafters of houses because there usually aren’t ceilings),
- and monkeys.
I am keeping a list.